QuickBooks is a widely used accounting software that offers a range of features to help businesses manage their finances effectively. However, like any software, QuickBooks is not immune to errors and issues that may disrupt its smooth operation. One such error that users may encounter is the “QuickBooks Connection has been lost” error. This article aims to provide a comprehensive guide to understanding the causes behind this error and offers step-by-step troubleshooting methods to resolve it.
Table of Contents
Reasons behind the QuickBooks Connection has been lost
The QuickBooks Connection has been lost error can occur due to various factors, including:
- Network connectivity issues: Interruptions or weak connections in the network can cause the connection to the QuickBooks server to be lost.
- Firewall or security software: Sometimes, the firewall or security settings on your computer can block QuickBooks from establishing a stable connection.
- Multiple instances of QuickBooks running: If multiple instances of QuickBooks are running simultaneously, it can lead to conflicts and result in a lost connection.
- Outdated QuickBooks version: Using an outdated version of QuickBooks can cause compatibility issues, leading to QuickBooks Connection has been lost.
Signs of the QuickBooks Connection has been lost
When encountering the QuickBooks Connection Lost error, users may experience the following signs:
- Frequent disconnections from the QuickBooks company file.
- Inability to open or save transactions.
- Delayed or slow response times when accessing company files.
- Error messages indicating a lost connection to the QuickBooks server.
QuickBooks Connection has been lost? Fix with easy methods
Users may encounter “QuickBooks Connection Abruptly Closed” for a variety of reasons. We recommend starting with basic troubleshooting as outlined below.
Method 1: Check Network Connectivity
Checking the internet connection is a fundamental step to address the “QuickBooks Connection has been Lost” issue. That’s why we’ve listed it as Method 1.
- Verify that your internet connection is stable and functioning properly.
- Restart your router and modem to refresh the connection.
- Disable any VPN or proxy settings that might interfere with QuickBooks.
Method 2: Update QuickBooks and fix the QuickBooks Connection that has been lost
- Open QuickBooks and go to the Help menu.
- Select “Update QuickBooks” and wait for the update process to complete.
- Restart QuickBooks and check if the QuickBooks Connection has been lost is resolved.
Method 3: Adjust Firewall and Security Settings
- Temporarily disable any firewall or security software on your computer.
- Open QuickBooks and go to the Help menu.
- Select “QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool” and follow the on-screen instructions to diagnose and fix QuickBooks Connection has been lost.
Method 4: Verify QuickBooks Services
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “services.msc” and hit Enter.
- Locate the QuickBooks services (e.g., QuickBooksDBXX or QBFCMonitorService) and ensure they are running.
- If any service is stopped, right-click on it and select Start.
Method 5: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
- Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official Intuit website.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and go to the “Company File Issues” tab.
- Select “Run QuickBooks File Doctor” and choose the company file that is experiencing connection issues.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to diagnose and repair any file-related problems.
Method 6: Setup Your Security Firewall Program
If you encounter the “QuickBooks Connection has been lost” issue with QuickBooks 2022, you may need to configure your security firewall program for QuickBooks. Here is a detailed process:
Step 1: Manual Firewall Configuration
If QuickBooks File Doctor is unable to resolve the firewall issue, you can manually adjust the settings.
Add Firewall Port Exception for QuickBooks
For users with multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on the same PC, these steps should be performed for each version:
- Open the Windows Start menu.
- Type “Windows Firewall” into the search box and open Windows Firewall.
- Click on Advanced Settings.
- Right-click on Inbound Rules (later, you’ll create Outbound Rules), then choose New Rule.
- Select Port and then click Next.
- Ensure TCP is selected.
- In the Specific local ports field, enter the specific ports required for your version of QuickBooks.
- After entering the port number, click Next.
- Choose Allow the Connection and then Next.
- If prompted, ensure all profiles are marked, then click Next.
- Create a rule and name it “QBPorts(year)”.
- Once you’re finished, click Finish.
- Repeat the steps above, but select Outbound Rules on step 4.
Try to open QuickBooks Desktop and switch to multi-user mode. If you still encounter issues, proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Create Windows Firewall Exceptions for QuickBooks Programs
QuickBooks uses executable files (.exe) to perform various tasks. You can create exceptions for each executable:
- Follow the same steps as above, but in step 5, select Program instead of Port.
- Select This Program Path and then click Browse.
- Find and select one of the executable files.
- After choosing the executable file, follow the same steps from the previous process to create a rule named “QBFirewallException(name.exe)”.
Step 3: Check Your Antivirus or Firewall Settings
If issues persist after configuring your firewall, check your antivirus settings. Make sure QuickBooks has general permissions so it’s not blocked. For this, consult your antivirus software’s help guide.
Add QuickBooks Ports Exception on Your Antivirus or Firewall If you still encounter errors, add port exceptions for the executable files previously mentioned. Ensure TCP is selected and enter the ports required for your QuickBooks version.
Step 4: Restart Your Computer
After you’ve made all these changes, restart your computer. This allows your system to implement the changes made to your firewall and antivirus. Once your computer restarts, reopen QuickBooks.
By following these steps, you should be able to resolve the “Connection has been lost” issue with QuickBooks. If you continue to have problems, it may be best to reach out to a QuickBooks Data Services Expert for further assistance.
The QuickBooks Connection has been lost can be frustrating, but by following the troubleshooting methods outlined in this article, you can effectively resolve the issue. Start by checking your network connectivity, updating QuickBooks, adjusting firewall settings, verifying QuickBooks services, and running the QuickBooks File Doctor. If the problem persists, don’t hesitate to contact QuickBooks Data Service Experts at +1-888-538-1314 for professional assistance. Remember, resolving QuickBooks Connection has been lost promptly ensures uninterrupted productivity and smooth accounting operations.