Don’t let Stuck Paychecks in QuickBooks Desktop error PS038 interfere with your payroll operations or online paycheck dispatch. Use this blog as your definitive guide to effortlessly troubleshoot the issue.
Elevate your business’s payroll prowess with QuickBooks Desktop Payroll! Recognized as the prime accounting solution for small and medium-sized enterprises, QuickBooks Payroll is essential. To ensure a seamless payroll operation, it’s crucial to stay updated with Payroll Tax table revisions. However, even the most efficient systems can encounter glitches – cue in the notorious QuickBooks error code PS038. But there’s no need for alarm! Our comprehensive guide elucidates the causes, symptoms, and most significantly, a fail-safe resolution to combat this infrequent but stubborn issue. Conquer this hitch with our guidance and unlock the full potential of your QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
Table of Contents
If you have encountered QuickBooks PS038 Error while attempting to operate QuickBooks Payroll, we are available to provide assistance in resolving this issue. You may contact QuickBooks Data Services at +1-888-538-1314 for prompt and reliable support.
What does Payroll Update QuickBooks Error PS038 mean?
Encountering error QuickBooks PS038: “You have successfully downloaded the latest payroll update patch and verified your payroll subscription. We strongly recommend that you go online again before XX/XX/XXXX[PS038]” can be a stumbling block. In such situations, users find themselves unable to process QuickBooks payroll for their employees. The primary culprits are often “online to send” paychecks or those that are stuck in the queue – these are some of the most common triggers for QuickBooks PS038 Error. However, rest assured, the solution outlined below by our experts will enable you to meet your payroll deadlines seamlessly.
Reasons why QuickBooks Error Code PS038 occurs?
The problem of “Stuck Paychecks in QuickBooks Payroll Update Error PS038″ can create delays in processing salaries, hinder accurate reporting, and even affect business decision-making. This issue can arise due to various reasons and below you will find the most common ones.
- Use of an outdated version of QuickBooks Payroll software can prompt error ps038
- Incorrect or incomplete installation of QuickBooks Payroll software
- Damaged or corrupted company files may also trigger error ps038 QuickBooks
- You may encounter QuickBooks Payroll Error PS038 due to an Incomplete or corrupt QuickBooks installation
- Malicious programs affecting QuickBooks software or system files
- There are Windows registry issues that are preventing QuickBooks from running and updating properly.
- Conflicts with other installed software
- Firewall or antivirus software blocking QuickBooks
- The system clock set to an incorrect time or date
- Improper system shutdown resulting in data corruption
- PS038 QuickBooks Error can be caused by damaged hard drive sectors, that can prevent the software from receiving updates.
- Damaged or corrupt network data file (.ND) or QuickBooks Transaction Log (.TLG) file
- Inadequate system resources such as insufficient memory or low disk space
- Unstable network connection or server issues
- Improper payroll subscription setup or outdated subscription details can also cause QuickBooks to prompt error ps038
Prior Things to Do Before Troubleshooting QuickBooks Error PS038
- Make Sure you’re using intuit supported QuickBooks Edition 2021, 2022, 2023.
- Your QuickBooks payroll has the latest payroll tax tables installed.
- Don’t perform rebuild data more than a couple of times.
- Ensure, You’re using your QuickBooks in single user more.
Note: If you are not tech-savvy or have little hesitation in doing technical stuff, So feel free to reach out to QuickBooks Data Services experts. They’ll help you to get done all of this.
Stepwise guide to fix Payroll Update Error PS038 QuickBooks Desktop
If you’re interested in finding out which method provides a 100% guarantee to resolve QuickBooks Error PS038, Well, We will advise you to carry out the steps in the order mentioned below by our experts.
1st Step: Update QuickBooks Desktop and backup your data
To Update QuickBooks Desktop software check out the following video and then go through the manual steps given underneath:
To Manually Update QuickBooks:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop App as a Windows Admin user.
- Tap on the [Help menu] option, thereafter select, [Update QuickBooks Desktop].
- Next, choose the [Update Now] option, and then Select For [Get QuickBooks Update] option.
- Wait While the Update is downloading.
- Reopen the QuickBooks Desktop and grant permission to install the recently downloaded update.
To Back up your Company File Data:
- Turn your QuickBooks into [single user mode].
- Next, Click on the [File menu], and then drag your mouse over the [Backup Your Data File] option, and then choose the [Create Local Backup] Option.
- In the Local Backup option, Click on the browse option and then select the suitable directory to save the backup file.
- Next, In the [Online and Local backup] options to Run a Test to analyze the data.
- At Last, select option [Save it now].
Note: You can also choose either one [Save it now Schedule future backups] or [Only Schedule for future backups].
2nd Step: Send Usage data or Payroll data
- Launch the QuickBooks Payroll.
- Later, Click on the [Employees] option and then choose [My Payroll Service].
- In My Payroll Service, Select For the [Send payroll usage data].
Note: In Some QuickBooks Desktop version user may find send payroll Data option under the Employees option.
- Later try to send payroll data, If data is sent successfully, then go back to update QuickBooks Payroll.
- In case of error persists, then you should reach out to experts at +1-888-538-1314 and Let experts help you.
3rd Step: Find out the checks stuck in the middle
- Click on the [Edit] button and then drag your mouse cursor to select the [Find] option.
- Later in the Find option, Select the [Advanced tab] Option.
- In the Advanced tab, Click on the [Filter] Option.
- Choose the [Detail Level Filter] Option from the List of Filters.
- Subsequently, Choose [Summary only].
- Go back to the list of Filters and pick [online status] Filter.
- Next, Select [Online to send] Filter.
- At last, Press the [Ctrl + F] button or choose the Find option to Locate unsent paychecks.
4th Step: Perform Verify and rebuild Data utility Test
To verify Data integrity
- In QuickBooks Home Window, click on [File] and Then Select Option for [verify Data].
Note: Depending on your File Size This may take a few seconds or a few minutes.
- If you see the below-mentioned prompt as a [verify data] result, then you don’t need to perform rebuild data.
To Rebuild Data
- Choose “File” from the menu.
- In this stage of the process, click the button labeled “Utilities.”
- After that, navigate to the option labeled “Rebuild Data.”
- Later, select the “Ok” option from the menu.
- Choose “Ok” to proceed with the creation of a backup copy.
- Click the “View Results“.
- After reviewing it, you will be required to perform an additional update of the payroll feature.
Note: If the “Verify and Rebuild Data” process fails to recognize a stuck paycheck, it may indicate that the company file has been condensed along with the transaction for the stuck paycheck. Additionally, a possible reason for the QuickBooks Error PS038, which prevents updating QuickBooks, could be the need for an Accountant’s copy to merge data.
5th Step: Detailed Inspection of unsent paychecks
To avoid any errors or discrepancies in employee pay, it is essential to remove unsent paychecks from QuickBooks. However, before deleting unsent paychecks, it’s important to ensure that they are not included in a scheduled payroll run or tax forms. This helps to prevent any problems with employee pay and tax calculations.
To remove unsent paychecks from QuickBooks, follow the steps listed below:
- Firstly, Follow the 3rd steps to get a sorted list of unsent paychecks.
- Later, select the very first-time stuck paychecks and then pick [detail paychecks].
- The moment’s [review paychecks] window will appear.
- Add a new item, the same as the final earning item, under the earnings item list.
- Adding a new item to earning list will pop up a prompt [Net Pay Locked]. You need to select the [No] option to close.
- Ensure, You didn’t make any modifications in [Net Pay] and [tax amounts], and then select [ok].
- Select [Yes], When you see the [Past Transaction] prompt.
- Next, Click on the [Save & Close] button to close the [detail paycheks] window.
- Click on [Yes], When the [Saving transaction] prompt appears.
- Open the same paychecks again.
- Deleted the newly added item from the earning item list.
- Repeat the above steps for each [unsent/stuck paycheks].
- When you have done the above step for each check, then you should first update your QuickBooks.
If the issue persists, I would recommend trying step 6, which involves using the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool.
6th Step: Use QuickBooks ADR(Auto Data Recovery)
To resolve QuickBooks Error PS038 and get back to running payroll with confidence, you can utilize the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool by following a few simple steps. For detailed instructions and guidance on using this tool, we recommend referring to the QuickBooks Data Service Team. With the help of this tool and Data Service expert guidance, you can quickly and easily recover your data and avoid potential data loss, ensuring that your payroll and accounting processes run smoothly and efficiently.
7th Step: Employ Backup for Payroll Data and Company Files
A QuickBooks PS038 Desktop error may sometimes impede access to payroll data or company files. In such cases, leveraging a backup can facilitate uninterrupted operations:
- Navigate to the ‘File’ tab within the QuickBooks software.
- Opt for the ‘Backup Company’ option, then select the ‘Create Local Backup’ choice.
- Upon reaching the backup creation page, select ‘Local Backup’.
- Next, move to the ‘Options’ tab, which will prompt a ‘Backup Options’ window to appear.
- Click on ‘Browse’ at this stage to designate the destination for the file backup.
- Once a location is chosen, click ‘OK’ to validate your selection.
- It’s recommended to initially save the backup on the local drive. Subsequently, you can choose a file hosting service, flash drive, or other portable storage media.
- Upon completion of these steps, verify whether the QuickBooks PS038 error still persists.
8th Step: Utilize QuickBooks Tool Hub to Execute “Quick Fix My Program”
The QuickBooks Tool Hub is a versatile application that provides solutions for common errors within QuickBooks. To make the most of this tool, it is recommended that you operate it on Windows 10, 64-bit. Here are the steps to execute the “Quick Fix My Program” utility.
Step 1: Get the QuickBooks Tool Hub Ready
You’ll need to close QuickBooks first in order to use the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Download the latest version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Be sure to save the file in a location that’s easy to find, such as your Downloads folder or the desktop of your Windows PC. Note: If you have previously installed the Tool Hub, you can find the version you have by selecting the Home tab. The version information will be displayed at the bottom.
- Open the downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe) and follow the on-screen instructions to install the program, making sure to agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the installation is complete, double-click the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon on your Windows desktop to open the application.
Note: If you are unable to locate the icon, use the search function in Windows, type “QuickBooks Tool Hub” and select the application.
Step 2: Run the “Quick Fix My Program” Utility
The Quick Fix function will close any background processes that QuickBooks might be running and perform a rapid repair of your software.
- In the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select the “Program Problems” option.
- Next, select the “Quick Fix my Program” option.
- Once the Quick Fix is complete, start QuickBooks Desktop and open your data file.
Through these steps, you should be able to address QuickBooks Error PS038. Remember, the QuickBooks Tool Hub is a great resource to help solve common problems with the software.
Additional Troubleshooting Steps For QuickBooks PS038 Error
In this section, we have provided additional solutions for QuickBooks Error PS038, which may assist you in getting your Payroll back on track.
Additional Method 1: Configure Windows Firewall to Recognize QuickBooks as an Exception
A common cause of QuickBooks application malfunctions can be the Windows Firewall. The firewall might perceive QuickBooks as a potential risk and protect the system by inhibiting its operation. If that’s the case, the solution is to designate QuickBooks as an exception, allowing it to access the internet and function seamlessly:
- Click the Windows icon on your keyboard to bring up the Start menu.
- In the search field, input ‘Windows Firewall’ and hit Enter.
- When the Windows Firewall window appears, select ‘Advanced Settings.’
- Next, pick ‘Inbound Rules,’ followed by ‘New Rule.’
- Choose the ‘Port’ option and click ‘Next.’
- Ensure to select ‘TCP,’ then key in the specific ports required for your QuickBooks version.
- Enter the relevant ports in the ‘Specific Local Ports’ field based on your QuickBooks year version:
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2022 and later: 8019, XXXXX.
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2021: 8019, XXXXX.
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
- Click ‘Next’ after entering the port number.
- Choose ‘Allow the Connection’ and hit ‘Next.’
- If prompted, check all profiles.
- Name the rule in this format- “QBPorts(year)” for straightforward identification.
- Hit ‘Finish’ when complete.
Repeat these steps for ‘Outbound Rules‘ and check if the QuickBooks Desktop error still exists. Subsequently, create a Windows Firewall exception for each QuickBooks program and executable file (.exe) by following the above steps.
Here’s the list of .exe files and their paths:
|Dbmlsync.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBW32.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|DBManagerExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|AutoBackupExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileManagement.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QuickBooksMessaging.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBServerUtilityMgr.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBDBMgrN.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBLaunch.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBCFMonitorService.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|FileMovementExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|IntuitSyncManager.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Sync|
|QBUpdate.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate|
|OnlineBackup.exe||C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Online Backup|
With these steps, QuickBooks error PS038 should be successfully resolved.
The steps we’ve shared above aim to fix stalled paychecks and remove the QuickBooks Error PS038. This article thoroughly explores the possible causes of this error and offers detailed solutions. However, if you’re still facing this issue and need extra help from experts, don’t hesitate to call our QuickBooks Data Recovery Services Helpline at +1-888-538-1314. Our team is always ready to make your QuickBooks experience smoother and more manageable.
FAQs on QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Error Message PS038
Is it necessary to update QuickBooks payroll tax tables?
Yes, it is crucial to update your payroll tax tables regularly. If you’re using QuickBooks Online, updates happen automatically, so you won’t need to manually update. However, if you’re using QuickBooks Desktop, you’ll either need to update manually or ensure automatic updates are enabled.
What can be done to avoid Error PS038 in QuickBooks Desktop?
To prevent Error PS038 in QuickBooks Desktop, follow these steps:
Step 1: Keep your QuickBooks and Payroll up to date.
Step 2: Always ensure you properly close your QuickBooks Company File after finishing your work.
Can a stuck paycheck in QuickBooks Desktop Error lead to duplicate entries?
Yes, trying to re-enter a paycheck that appears to be stuck can create duplicate entries. It’s wise to diagnose the underlying problem first to avoid complicating the issue further.
Are there any specific settings I should look into if paychecks are getting stuck regularly?
Regular paycheck issues may be linked to incorrect settings within your payroll setup. Thoroughly reviewing the configuration and making necessary adjustments can help prevent this problem.
What causes paychecks to get stuck in QuickBooks Desktop?
It might be due to several factors like corrupted data files, improper settings, or even network issues. Understanding the root cause is essential to fix the problem.