Are you facing continuous interruptions while working on QuickBooks? The abort error might be behind this unexpected behavior, causing your work to halt abruptly. But don’t panic, we’ve got you covered in this comprehensive guide to understanding and resolving the QuickBooks Abort Error.
What is QuickBooks Abort Error?
The QuickBooks Abort Error is a common issue experienced by many users, characterized by a disruptive message: “QuickBooks abort error Problem. The connection to the company file has been aborted. QuickBooks must close immediately. Any unsaved data will need to be re-entered.” Sounds familiar? The abrupt nature of this error can be frustrating, but let’s dig a little deeper to understand why it happens.
Why Does QuickBooks Keep Aborting?
In layman’s terms, QuickBooks keeps aborting primarily due to conflicts between QuickBooks and other programs running simultaneously on your computer. Other reasons could be due to damaged or missing program files, a mismatch between your system’s configuration and QuickBooks’ requirements, outdated software, or an unstable network connection, leading to QuickBooks aborting lost connections.
How Do I Stop QuickBooks from Aborting?
By following these detailed steps, you can minimize the chances of QuickBooks aborting and improve your user experience:
Step 1: Disable Antivirus and Firewall For instance
At times, your computer’s security systems, such as Antivirus programs and Firewalls, might interfere with QuickBooks. These security features might mistakenly flag QuickBooks as a threat, thereby causing the Abort Error. Therefore, you might need to disable them temporarily to resolve this issue.
Your antivirus software ensures your computer’s safety from malicious threats. However, it can sometimes conflict with other software like QuickBooks. Here’s how you can disable it:
- Find the antivirus icon on your taskbar and right-click it.
- Select ‘Temporarily Disable’ or a similar option from the context menu.
- Choose the time duration to keep the antivirus disabled. It is advisable to reactivate it as soon as you’re done with QuickBooks to avoid any potential security risks.
Remember, the steps may vary depending on the specific antivirus software you’re using.
Dealing with the Firewall
Your Firewall works as a protective shield for your network, preventing unauthorized access. However, this protection can occasionally cause conflicts with QuickBooks. Follow these steps to disable it:
- Open ‘Control Panel’ on your computer.
- Navigate to ‘System and Security’ and click on ‘Windows Defender Firewall’.
- On the left-hand side, click on ‘Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off’.
- Select ‘Turn off Windows Defender Firewall’ for both private and public network settings.
- Click ‘OK’ to save the changes.
Once you’ve completed your QuickBooks tasks, remember to turn your Firewall back on to keep your network secure.
If the QuickBooks abort error message persists after disabling your Antivirus and Firewall, move to the next step.
Step 2: Rename QBWUSER.INI File
The QBWUSER.INI file is an essential component of QuickBooks. It stores the list of previously opened company files and helps QuickBooks to open them efficiently. It is usually located in the QuickBooks installation directory, within the user’s profile on the computer.
However, if this file gets damaged or corrupted, it may result in the QuickBooks Abort Error. Renaming this file can help resolve this issue by forcing QuickBooks to create a new, undamaged version of the file.
Follow these steps to rename your QBWUSER.INI file:
- Open the ‘File Explorer‘ on your computer.
- Navigate to the location: ‘C:\Users[Your user name]\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks [year]‘.
- Find and right-click on the ‘QBWUSER.INI‘ file.
- From the drop-down menu, select ‘Rename‘.
- Add ‘.test’ at the end of the file name, making it ‘QBWUSER.INI.test’.
- Save the changes.
By renaming the QBWUSER.INI file, QuickBooks is prompted to create a new and clean QBWUSER.INI file when it restarts.
Please note, the ‘AppData‘ folder might be hidden. To view it, enable ‘Hidden Items’ in the ‘View’ tab of your File Explorer.
If renaming the QBWUSER.INI file doesn’t solve the abort error, don’t worry. Proceed to the next step for further solutions.
Step 3: Use QuickBooks Tool Hub
The QuickBooks Tool Hub is a one-stop solution for many common QuickBooks issues, including the abort error. It’s an application that houses a variety of QuickBooks tools, each designed to diagnose and fix specific types of problems.
Download QuickBooks Tool Hub
Follow these steps to download the Tool Hub:
- Visit the official QuickBooks website.
- Navigate to the downloads section and look for ‘QuickBooks Tool Hub’.
- Click on ‘Download Now’ and save the file in a location that’s easy to find.
- Run the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
Run Quick Fix my Program
The ‘Quick Fix my Program’ tool within the Tool Hub can rectify common errors. Here’s how to use it:
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- In the tool hub, select ‘Program Problems’.
- Choose ‘Quick Fix my Program’ and wait for the tool to run. It might take a minute or two.
Run QuickBooks File Doctor
The QuickBooks File Doctor is another tool within the Tool Hub designed to fix issues related to company files and network errors.
Here’s how to run it:
- In the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select ‘Company File Issues’.
- Click on ‘Run QuickBooks File Doctor’. The process might take a bit of time, depending on the size of your file.
- Browse and select your company file from the drop-down menu in the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Choose ‘Check your file’ and ‘Continue’.
- Enter your QuickBooks admin password and click on ‘Next’. Wait for the scan to complete.
Please note, the File Doctor tool only works on .qbw and .qba files. Also, if your company file is significantly large (over 2GB), consider using the File Doctor standalone version for better results.
If the issue persists even after using the QuickBooks Tool Hub, proceed to the next step for more advanced troubleshooting.
Step 4: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Program
The Windows Repair program is a feature that allows you to fix issues with your software without reinstalling it completely. It is especially useful when QuickBooks keeps aborting despite trying all other methods.
Turning on Safe Mode:
Safe Mode is a diagnostic mode of a computer operating system. It can help to troubleshoot various problems. Here’s how to enable it:
- Restart your computer.
- While it’s booting up, press and hold the ‘F8’ key on your keyboard.
- This will open the ‘Advanced Boot Options’ menu.
- Using the arrow keys, select ‘Safe Mode’ and press ‘Enter’.
Starting the Repair:
To repair QuickBooks, follow these steps:
- Close all running QuickBooks applications.
- Go to ‘Control Panel’ on your computer.
- Click on ‘Programs’ > ‘Programs and Features’.
- Find QuickBooks in the list of installed programs and click on it.
- Click on ‘Uninstall/Change’.
- In the QuickBooks installation window, click on ‘Next’, then ‘Repair’, and finally ‘Next’.
- Click ‘Repair’ again, and wait for the process to finish.
- Once the repair is complete, click ‘Finish’.
If the issue persists after repair, you might need to reinstall QuickBooks.
Reinstall QuickBooks in Safe Mode:
To reinstall QuickBooks in Safe Mode, follow these steps:
- Download the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool from the official QuickBooks website.
- Save the file on your desktop.
- Open QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Utility.exe.
- Click on ‘I Accept’ on the license agreement.
- Select the version of QuickBooks you’re using and click ‘Continue’.
- Click ‘OK’ when you see the message “QuickBooks is now ready for a clean install, please install to the default directory.”
- Install QuickBooks using your license and product numbers.
By following these steps, you can repair your QuickBooks Desktop program or perform a clean install if necessary. If the QuickBooks abort error still persists, please contact QuickBooks Data Recovery Services for further assistance.
In wrapping up
we hope this article has been helpful in guiding you through the steps to resolve the QuickBooks Abort Error. While it’s an annoying issue, it is usually fixable with the right instructions. If you’ve diligently followed this guide but are still encountering the error, don’t worry. Our QuickBooks Data Services team is always ready to assist you. You can reach our experts at +1-888-538-1314 for personalized and advanced solutions. We are committed to your seamless and efficient use of QuickBooks. So remember, you’re never alone in this – we’re just a call away. Keep enjoying QuickBooks’ features and let us handle any hiccups you encounter!