If you’ve encountered the QuickBooks Restore Failed error while attempting to restore the backup of your QB data file, you’re not alone. This error can cause panic among users and leave them feeling helpless, but have no fear. This comprehensive guide provides practical solutions to help you resolve this frustrating issue.
QuickBooks Desktop is renowned for its ability to easily fix errors through a backup restore process. However, what if the restore process itself leads to an error? This article sheds light on the QuickBooks Restore Failed error, a prevalent issue that emerges when trying to restore a backup of a QuickBooks data file. This error comes in various forms and can be caused by multiple factors, which we will examine in-depth. By the end of this article, you will have a comprehensive understanding of the causes and solutions for the QuickBooks Restore Failed error, including steps to resolve the “QuickBooks Restore Failed: Can’t Remove Log File” issue. Keep reading to learn more.
“QuickBooks: Error Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File”
“QuickBooks Restore failed. Can’t remove log file”
“This file is set for read-only. Try again with another name”
Reasons that cause QuickBooks 2021,22,23 Restore failed
Here are some common reasons that can cause the restore process of QuickBooks 2021, 22, or 23 to fail:
- The backup File may have contained forbidden characters. i.e: (@#$!&!#^%!).
- You are composing backup file data over an existing QuickBooks Company file.
- You are not using an actual backup File to restore data.
- The backup File is located in the USB Thumb drive to restore in the server drive rather a stand-alone computer.
- You don’t have the privilege to write data on certain directories.
- Backup file data has a compatibility issue with your QuickBooks.
Things should do before you troubleshoot QuickBooks Restore failed
Before tackling a QuickBooks restore failed issue, it’s best to dot your i’s and cross your t’s to ensure a smooth and successful resolution. Here are a few things to consider:
- Make a copy of your backup and company file and paste it into a different directory.
- Do not perform rebuild data more than twice.
- Update your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Update your Windows and Mac.
- If there are any symptoms of corruption in the company file, So please don’t carry out the below-listed solution steps.
Techniques to Resolve QuickBooks won’t restore backup/QBB file
Restoring a QuickBooks backup file can be a daunting task, but there are various techniques available to fix the problem. To help you out, here are some effective methods you can try to resolve the issue of QuickBooks won’t restore backup/QBB file.
1st Method: Remove the Special Characters from the file name to fix QuickBooks Restore Failed
The first method is to confirm that the name of your backup file name should not contain any special characters. Perform the following steps to remove special from (.QBB) file name:
- Go to the folder where you have kept your QuickBooks back file.
- Select the file and either you can choose the keyboard shortcut key \”F2\” or Press the mouse to right-click and then press the Left mouse button to select rename option.
- The next step is to delete any special characters from the file\’s name and then press the \”Enter\” key to save it.
- Once finished, check whether you can restore the backup or not.
2nd Method: Using a Flash Drive to Restore QuickBooks
You can restore your QuickBooks backup files if you follow the methods provided down below and you must utilize the restoration process to get the data back into your QuickBooks because the backup copies are compressed. You should avoid using the Copy command in Microsoft Windows.
- You must utilize external storage, such as a flash drive if the backup file is not on the system\’s hard drive or in the network folder.
- Go to the file in QuickBooks after opening it.
- To launch the restore wizard on your system, select the Open or Restore Company option.
- Click Next after selecting the Restore a backup copy (.qbb) option.
- Select Local backup, then click Next.
- You\’ll get a new prompt asking you to launch Backup Copy.
- Navigate to the location where the whole backup file is kept on the system using the Look drop-down option. The files in this folder will all have the.qbb extension.
- Open the backup file on your computer by going there and pressing Open, followed by Next.
- Choose the location where you wish to restore the backup files by clicking the Save option.
- Select the backup files, then click Save.
- On your system, you’ll receive a lot of prompt notifications. React to them appropriately.
3rd Method: Do not overwrite an existing file when you restore the backup
When restoring a QuickBooks backup file, it is important to make sure you do not overwrite an existing file. This can prevent data loss and ensure that your files remain organized. Here are the steps to restore a backup file without overwriting an existing file:
- Open QuickBooks and go to the File menu.
- Select “Open or Restore Company” and choose “Restore a Backup Copy”.
- Click “Next” and select “Local Backup”.
- Browse to the location of the backup file and select it.
- Choose a new location where you want to save the restored file.
- Make sure the option “Do not overwrite the existing company file” is selected.
- Click “Save” and then “OK”.
- Review the restore settings and click “Next”.
- Choose a location where you want to save the restored backup file.
- Click “Save” and then “OK”.
- Enter a new name for the restored file, if prompted.
- Click “Save” to complete the restore process.
If you encounter the issue of QuickBooks restore failed while following these steps, you can try 4th method to fix it.
4th Method: Restore the same file that was created from your version of QuickBooks
Restoring a QuickBooks backup file is a crucial process, and it is important to use the correct file that was created from your version of QuickBooks to avoid errors or issues during the restore process. Follow these steps to restore the backup file:
- Open QuickBooks and click on “File” in the top menu bar.
- Select “Open or Restore Company” from the drop-down menu.
- Choose “Restore a backup copy” and then click “Next.”
- Select “Local backup” and click “Next.”
- Browse your computer for the backup file and select it.
- Click “Open” and then “Next.”
- Choose the location where you want to save the restored file.
- Enter a new file name for the restored file, if desired.
- Click “Save” and then “Yes” to confirm.
- Wait for QuickBooks to restore the backup file.
- Click “OK” when the restore process is complete.
By following these steps and making sure that you select the correct backup file that matches your version of QuickBooks, you can successfully restore the backup file without any issues or errors.
5th Method: Fix the corrupted QuickBooks company file
Your data file is likely to damage just like any other file in Windows. In this situation, you can use QuickBooks Desktop\’s built-in Rebuild Data function to repair data corruption on your company file.
- First, select Utilities from the File menu. You must then choose the Rebuild Data option.
- On the QuickBooks Information window, click OK to continue.
- Follow the instructions that appear on your screen to save the file backup.
- Allow the program to fix your file. You should be aware that depending on the size of your file, it can take some time. Even if QuickBooks appears to be frozen, the tool is still functional as long as you can move the mouse.
- Click OK when the repair process is complete by the tool.
- Once more, go to the File menu and select Utilities. Select the option to verify data next.
- Let the tool check your file one last time for data problems.
- Click OK if QuickBooks doesn’t discover any issues with your company file. Your corporate file has no data harm, therefore you can keep utilizing it. Select Rebuild Now if the problem yet continues.
6th Method: Use another copy of the backup to restore
QuickBooks creates a new company file from the backup company file (.qbb) when you attempt to restore your company file (.qbw).
Important: Be careful to move your company file to your local hard disk before continuing with the procedures below to fix the QuickBooks backup failed issue.
Additionally, you can carry out the following actions:
- Open QuickBooks and select the File option from the menu. Click the Open or Restore Company option from there.
- Select Restore a backup copy from the menu now, then click Next.
- Select Local Backup next, and then click Next.
- You also need to search your computer for the backup business file. You would see it as follows: [Your business name]. qbb.
- Make sure to choose a folder to save your recovered company file. After that, select Open.
- You should be aware that you run the risk of overwriting your data if you open the backup in the same folder as your current company file.
You can attempt to change your current company file or the backup so the names are distinct in order to prevent overwriting anything. You could also try to save the backup in a whole other folder.
Click Save once you are prepared with your backup company file. Choose the option that best suits your needs if a notification warns you about the potential for overwriting your data. Be careful not to overwrite anything unless you are certain that you want to.
7th Method: Try to restore the file on a different system
You can try this solution if all the above methods have failed you. You can try and restore the company data file on a different PC and can make sure that everything is not OK with your current system. If you are not able to restore the company file on your system then you can use various free tools offered by windows to check your machine. You can also take help of the third party tools to check your system.
Encountering a QuickBooks restore failed error can be a daunting experience for users, especially when critical company data is at risk. However, with proper precautions such as regular backups and software updates, users can minimize the possibility of such errors occurring. If you find yourself unable to resolve the error, it is crucial to seek assistance from QuickBooks Data Services experts at +1-888-704-1357. Their knowledge and expertise can help users overcome data-related issues and ensure the integrity of their company data.