QuickBooks Desktop is one of the most renowned business accounting suites for small and medium size businesses. Still, it has some downsides. e.g: QuickBooks 2022 keeps crashing which can be triggered by either not fulfilling the minimum system requirement to Run QBD smoothly, your data file might not be in good shape, or QB program files being corrupted. Henceforth, In This article, we have deliberately shared causes, tips to prevent Error “QuickBooks crashing”, and if it occurs then how to fix it!
Are you tired of digging about hacks for QuickBooks keeps closing or shutting down? If yes, then you can use the subsequent article, But make sure you are on call with one of our Pro-advisors to get preferred results.
Table of Contents
What is QuickBooks Keeps crashing?
The QuickBooks Crashing Dilemma is a common frustration faced by many businesses using QuickBooks Desktop. This problem occurs when the application experiences sudden crashes, slowdowns, or freezes while accessing files or performing specific operations. The root cause of this issue can range from corrupted files to virus infections, and it can greatly disrupt the smooth functioning of your financial management process. To avoid any headaches and protect your important data, it’s crucial to resolve this issue as soon as possible. By troubleshooting promptly, you can ensure a seamless experience with QuickBooks Desktop and keep your business operations running smoothly.
Top Reasons Why Your QuickBooks keeps crashing
QuickBooks requires tons of hardware and software resources to perform various operations, and the moment when it lingers on a single resource can result in this warning. We can’t make sure what exactly is causing QuickBooks Desktop has stopped working, but we can narrow down what are the things that are likely to drive QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly. Down below, we have listed some of the most potential causes that may develop the QuickBooks Keeps Freezing.
- Certainly, you’re using an old computer.
- Outdated OS(Recommended Windows 10 and 11).
- Probably you’re using the sunset version of your QuickBooks Desktop. (Which is not allowing QuickBooks to fetch new updates)
- Interruption in Internet Connection can also create the circumstance QuickBooks keeps closing.
- Unrecoverable Errors are also prone to cause the “QuickBooks app keeps crashing“.
- Corruption in a most vital file(user.ini).
- A damaged company file can drive QuickBooks opens then closes immediately.
- Malware/Adware/Spyware/Trojan, Any of these viruses, may also result in QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly.
- Your system firewall may clash with the third-party applications (QuickBooks) resulting in frequent crashes.
- Additional installed applications may be interrupting with QuickBooks processes while running.
Methods For QuickBooks keeps crashing in windows 11, 10, 8 & 7
To Find out which one method will work perfectly to overcome QuickBook’s constantly crashing problem, follow the methods one by one:
Method first. Remove/Disable the antivirus software to fix QuickBooks Keeps shutting down
Often you can see a third-party application or software is why QuickBooks 2022 keeps crashing.
Any kind of program is set to check the timely updates for smooth functioning of it and to make it bug-free. Likewise, QuickBooks also releases updates to cope up with the needs of businesses. If by any chance these patch releases are blocked or treated as malware by the antivirus program, they will get deleted before they are being applied. That’s why it is recommended to disable any third-party antivirus program if you are installing a trusted third-party software.
Method Second. Turn off the firewall to fix the QuickBooks 2023 keeps crashing
Follow the below-mentioned steps if you would like to disable the windows firewall successfully and remove QuickBooks 2022 keeps crashing out from your system.
- Open the windows search bar by pressing the window key from your keyboard or just click on the search bar from the task manager.
- Type in windows firewall and then open the settings.
- On the left pane, you can see the Turn Windows Firewall on or off option, click on it.
- Now disable the windows firewall and also ensure that it is disabled for both private and public networks.
- Confirm your selection and then restart your PC. Now try to run QuickBooks again and see if it crashes or not.
Note: Enable the windows firewall after you have successfully launched QuickBooks without any further issues. As disabling the firewall for a long time is dangerous, any third-party malware can affect your OS and may corrupt it completely.
Method Third. Run Tool Hub Utility to fix QuickBooks keeps crashing windows 11
1st: Quick Fix my file to remove QuickBooks crashes on startup
- Open Intuit Tool Hub program as an “Administrator“
- Next, Choose the “company file issues” tab.
- In the “Company File issues” tab, Select Run “Quick Fix my file program“.
- Verify is your QuickBooks is working fine or not.
2nd: Run Quick Fix my program
- To Run Quick Fix my program open tool hub.
- Next, select the “program problems” tab.
- After that, tap on the ‘Run Quick Fix my program‘ button.
3rd: Use File Dr. From Tool Hub
If the issue keeps continues though you had used Quick fix my file and program, So as step third I would recommend using the QuickBooks File Doctor program. We have listed the steps down below precisely.
- Start the QuickBooks Tool Hub program as an admin user.
- Next, Click on the [company file issues] tab.
- In the Company File issues tab, Click on the [Run QuickBooks File Doctor] button.
- Click “ok“, when a prompt appears with the message “File Doctor will take a minute or two to open, please wait till the File Doctor Launch automatically.“
- The Moment File Doctor opens fully, and you will see three options (Repair Company File, Repair Network, and Repair Both).
Note: If you are using QuickBooks on multi-user mode and there you’re facing QuickBooks 2022 keeps crashing issue, I’d recommend you choose repair Network and Company file.
- At last, Verify that is your QuickBooks is still crashing or not.
Method Fourth. Update your date & time settings to fix QuickBooks 2023 keeps crashing
- First, right-click on the time/date from the taskbar and select the adjusted date/time to open it.
- Make sure that your time zone is not random.
- Now click on the change settings, under the internet time tab.
- You can now see the Synchronize with an Internet time server box, uncheck it if it is checked, and click on OK.
- Set the time and date according to your country and click on OK.
- Now return back to the internet time tab and click on change settings.
- At last, check the Synchronize with an Internet time server box and click on update now.
This simple thing can cost you a lot of time as it always goes unnoticed and can also hamper any updates that QuickBooks might apply to the application.
Method Fifth. Run SFC(system file checker) scan or DISM(Deployment Image Servicing and Management) to remove QuickBooks closes unexpectedly
- First, open the start menu and then type cmd into the search bar to open the command prompt.
- Now run the command prompt as an administrator to give it full control.
- Next type SFC /scannow after C:\windows\system32>.
- Wait till the scanning process finishes and then check if the QuickBooks is still crashing or freezing.
- Move back to steps 1 and 2 and follow them again.
- Type the following commands one after the other:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth
Make sure that the previously mentioned commands are not to be executed continuously, instead wait for the one command to finish its task. Now restart your system and check if you are still getting the QuickBooks keeps crashing windows 11 or not.
Method Sixth. Make a new user and check if QuickBooks Crashes or not
- Go to the Start Menu of the windows, then navigate to the Settings and then Account.
- There choose the Family and others users menu.
- Now go to the Add other user and next choose Add account.
- Next choose the following options ‘I don’t have this person’s sign-in information’, ‘Add a user without a Microsoft account’ and move on to the next page.
- Enter a username and password to finish the process and select Next.
- Switch to this user now and check if your QuickBooks is working fine or not.
Method Seventh. Disable the fast startup and fix the QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly
- Open the control panel and click on the power options you can see in the computer’s settings window.
- From the left pane select the “Choose what the power buttons do” option.
- If you cannot use the “Shutdown settings” button then click on the “Change settings that are currently unavailable”.
- At last, uncheck the “Turn on fast startup (recommended)”, save the changes and then restart your PC. See if QuickBooks is still crashing or not.
Method Eighth. Uninstall a windows patch release to fix QuickBooks 2022 Keeps Crashing
- Hit the window key from your keyboard to open the windows start menu.
- Inside the search bar type settings to open the settings app.
- Then from the left pane select the windows update option.
- Under ‘More options’ you can see ‘Update history’, click on it.
- Now you will be able to see all the updates you have installed till the latest date.
- Search for the ‘Uninstall updates’ option and select the latest update patch to uninstall it from your system. Do not worry as it is safe to do so and will not erase any kind of data.
- Restart your PC and check if your QBDT is working fine or still crashing.
Method Ninth. Perform a clean boot and fix QuickBooks keeps Crashing 2023, 2022,…
With this process, you will finally get rid of the 3rd party applications that are not needed or causing interference with your version of QuickBooks. It is possible that it may also remove QuickBooks, which is why we recommend you to take a backup of your company file before going through the below process.
- First, open the run dialog box by pressing “Windows key + R” and then type MSConfig into the search.
- You will automatically be forwarded to the general tab after the System Configuration Utility box is opened.
- Inside the general tab, ensure that load system service and load startup both are checked, and click on selective startup mode.
- Now click on the services tab.
- It is mandatory to checkmark the Hide All Microsoft Services.
- Next, click on disable all and move to the startup tab and click to open the task manager. It will open a new window where you can see all your startup applications.
- Now, move and disable all the applications that you are not using currently.
- Click on OK and then Apply and close the configuration.
- At last, restart your computer system and check if the issue still persists or not.
Method tenth. Restore your system to an initial point to remove QuickBooks keeps crashing
- Open the run window by pressing “Windows key + R” and then type rstrui.exe inside the search bar and press enter.
- A system restores window now will pop up in front of you.
- Select the restore point, date, and time according to your need.
- Select it and to finish it click on next.
Methods For QuickBooks keeps crashing in MAC OS
Method First. Disable the Antivirus program momentarily
To Halt Antivirus s/w
- Firstly go to the spotlight search box
- Now type the name of the antivirus program you have installed and are using it currently.
- Once the s/w appears on the screen click on it to open it.
- Take your time and navigate through the interface of this s/w and check for a stop/disable button.
- Tap on it and confirm the disabling of the software.
- Alternatively, access the mac’s menu bar.
- Right-click on the icon to open a drop-down menu.
- Next click on the disable/stop option to shut it down for a moment.
Method Second. Allow QuickBooks to connect with the network in firewall settings
Follow these simple steps if you want to know how to enable third-party connections in mac’s firewall:
- Choose the following options first: Apple Menu >> System Settings.
- Next from the sidebar, click on the network icon.
- You may see the Firewall option on the right, click on it to open it.
- From the different sets of options, choose Add, to allow the incoming connections for QuickBooks.
- Close the Firewall settings, restart your system and check if still QuickBooks closes unexpectedly.
Method Third. Restart the MAC to mend the QuickBooks keeps turning off
Sometimes your OS does not sync up with the application you are trying to run. To sync it, you have to restart the OS. Common issues with QuickBooks like crashing, not being able to send emails, and company file does not opening, are fixed with this.
Method Fourth. Update the apps manually to eradicate QuickBooks crashes on startup
This is also a simple process and can surely fix the QuickBooks 2023 Closes Unexpectedly in MAC.
To do it, just click on the Apple menu, then system preferences, and at last click on software updates. This will automatically download any available updates for Mac. To see the effects you have to relaunch QuickBooks and check if it still crashes or not.
Method Fifth. Check if the QB is compatible with Mac or not
- First, click on the Apple logo that you can see in the top left corner of your screen.
- Now from the drop-down, choose “About this Mac“.
- Next on the overview tab, click on the “System Report…”.
- You can now see a window where you have detailed information about the software that are currently installed on your system.
- Click on the software and then applications. Check the “obtained from” column and if you see the QuickBooks application is marked “Unknown” then it is an issue.
Method Sixth. Add a new user in MAC
- Click on the Apple’s icon you can see in the top left corner and then choose the ‘System Preferences’. Alternatively, press command and space together to open the spotlight search, then type system preferences in the search bar to open it.
- Next from the grid, Select ‘Users & Groups’. In the left pane, you can see all the users.
- If this section is locked, click on the ‘lock’ icon down below and enter your password to unlock this section.
- Now click on the ‘+’ icon to add a new user. Choose what type of account you would like to make, a username, and a strong password.
- Hit the create user button and now switch to this user, run QuickBooks, and check if it is freezing or not.
Method Seventh. Removing old software updates in the mac to fix QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing
Note: Take a full backup of your file and work before proceeding with this step as using it incorrectly can damage your files.
- Navigate to the Finder >> Applications >> Utilities >> Terminal.
- Type the following command ‘sudo softwareupdate –clear-catalog’. It will remove all your old software update files.
- Restart mac and check if you are still experiencing the QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly
Method Eighth. Remove the preference file from the Mac and fix the QuickBooks keeps crashing
- First, open the finder window and then go to the Home >> Library >> Preferences Folder.
- Now delete the “com.apple.finder.plist”.
- You can also delete the Finder Sidebar preferences file (com.apple.sidebarlists.plist), if you are using the Mac OS X 10.3 or later.
- Next, launch the finder by selecting force quit from the Apple menu, Choose the finder and then click on the relaunch button.
- At last, empty the trash. Restart the system and relaunch QuickBooks to see if the issue is gone.
Read more: How to fix Error 3371 in QuickBooks Desktop
An additional solution for both Windows and Mac
Detecting bad sector in hard drive and fixing QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly
Bad sector in storage device way often leads to software program crashes unexpectedly and Here are the following steps to perform resolution steps:
Symptoms for bad sector
- Odd Noise from HDD.
- The installed programs are taking way longer to load the program.
Steps to eliminate QuickBooks keeps crashing
- Plugin an External Hard disk.
- Download the desired QuickBooks version from intuit.com.
- Make sure to save the QuickBooks Desktop setup file in External Hard Disk Location.
- Next, Double Click LMB(Left Mouse button).
- Follow the ‘on-screen‘ instructions appropriately(Ensure that you have chosen the installation location as an external Hard Drive Disk).
- At last Click on Finish.
- Now check, whether the QuickBooks crashing problem is thriving or not.
Overhead mentioned troubleshooting, we have classified into two operating systems, MAC and Windows, and we’d expect that a large group of QuickBooks users has successfully Conquer QuickBooks Desktop keeps shutting down or crashing problems. However, If your QuickBooks crashing or Kicking me out or you still have doubts, please feel free to reach out to QuickBooks Data Service experts at +1-888-704-1357.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is My QuickBooks Desktop crashing when opening a company?
The reason for QuickBooks 2022 r5 crashing can be you are using a company file that has some errors, or a QBWuser.ini file isn’t in excellent condition.
What to do If QuickBooks Crashes on startup?
You should First try to use QuickBooks Quick Fix my program utility, However, If it persists, either reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop app or contact to experts.
How do I fix QuickBooks keeps crashing windows 11?
Use QuickBooks Tool hub’s “quick fix my program”, to eliminate QuickBooks keeps closing.
What to do If QuickBooks start crashing after the update?
Try to uninstall recently installed update patches.
Why does My QuickBooks freeze after login?
Maybe you are using a damaged QuickBooks user, So ask your QB administrator to create a new user.
What If nothing works in the Above Solutions to fix the QuickBooks keeps crashing windows 11?
You should contact a QuickBooks Data Recovery Services expert to repair your damaged company file.