Intuit is a company that wants to provide the best accounting solutions to businesses all over the world. They created QuickBooks software, which is perfect for mid-sized businesses, associations, and firms. QuickBooks has many features, such as automated payment scheduling, business analysis reports, inventory tracking, and multi-user mode. However, many users have reported encountering errors, with one of the most common being QuickBooks error H505.
If you see the following error message on your desktop screen, you are likely experiencing the following error messages: QuickBooks Error H505, This company file is located on another computer, and QuickBooks requires assistance connecting.
If you are facing QuickBooks error H505, don’t worry. This post can help you fix it. However, if you still need help or guidance, please call our toll-free number at +1-888-538-1314 to speak with our QuickBooks desktop support team. We are always ready to assist you and help you resolve the issue effectively.
What is Message Code QuickBooks Error H505?
QuickBooks Error H505 manifests when the end user endeavors to procure the company Files or Data on a separate machine, which lacks appropriate establishment configuration, or when the machine demands supplementary installation or setup. This H series error is interrelated with predicaments concerning the hosting settings. The manifestation of this specific error code H505 QuickBooks on the display screen is due to one or several machines being designated as the QuickBooks server by the user. It should be emphasized that the user’s machines can execute the multi-user functionality; however, the sole machine with the potential to operate as the host for the system that harbors the company files must be appropriately configured.
What Could be Causing QuickBooks Error Code H505?
Here are some possible reasons to check out:
- Your computer’s firewall might be blocking communication with the company file.
- The hosting configuration settings could be incorrect or improperly set up.
- QuickBooks may not be able to scan the files/folders with the Database server on the server.
- The .nd file might be damaged, missing, or incorrect.
- QuickBooks might be unable to trace the IP address of the computer.
- The QuickBooks DBXX service might not be running.
- DNS settings might be incorrect.
Wondering if your QB Desktop System is Being Affected by QuickBooks Error H505?
Keep an eye out for these signs:
- The multi-user mode won’t work properly.
- QuickBooks might unexpectedly close a file or report you’re working on.
- Your system might start crashing more often.
- Your Windows operating system might become unresponsive.
- You won’t be able to access company data from the server.
- You might see error code H505 pop up on your screen frequently.
Troubleshooting Steps For QuickBooks Error H505
The QuickBooks Error H505 is typically related to network issues or issues with the configuration of your settings when attempting to switch to multi-user mode. If you encounter this error, the following steps may assist you in resolving it:
Solution 1: Use the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
The QuickBooks File Doctor tool is a built-in feature offered by Intuit that can help diagnose and repair various network and company file-related issues. It can be particularly effective in addressing the QuickBooks Error H505. Here’s how to use this helpful tool:
Step 1: Download and Install QuickBooks File Doctor
If you don’t have QuickBooks File Doctor installed on your computer:
- Visit the official QuickBooks website and download the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once downloaded, double-click on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file to begin the installation process.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and accept the terms and conditions to install the tool.
- Once installed, you will see an icon on your desktop. Double-click on it to open the tool.
Step 2: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
- Inside the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select the ‘Company File Issues’ tab.
- Click on the “Run QuickBooks File Doctor” button. This will open the File Doctor tool.
- In the tool, click on the ‘Browse’ button and locate your company file (.QBW) that is causing the error.
- Once selected, you will have two options for checking your file: ‘Check your file’ and ‘Check your file and network’. If you’re trying to fix the Error H505, opt for ‘Check your file and network’.
- Click on ‘Continue’ and enter your Admin password when prompted.
- Click on ‘Next’, and the File Doctor will begin the scan and repair process. This may take some time depending on the size of your file and the nature of the issues.
Step 3: Review the Results and Follow the Suggested Steps
Once the tool finishes its process, it will provide a report detailing any issues it found and the steps it took to fix them. Follow any additional instructions given by the tool if necessary.
Keep in mind that although QuickBooks File Doctor is a potent tool, it may not be able to fix every problem. If the QuickBooks Error H505 persists even after using the tool, it would be prudent to explore other solutions for further assistance.
Solution 2: Verify QuickBooks Services & Hosting
Ensuring the correct setup of QuickBooks services and hosting settings is crucial for the smooth operation of QuickBooks in a multi-user environment. Follow these steps to check these settings:
Step 1: Verify the QuickBooks Desktop services
To start, make sure that the QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitor services are running. Follow these steps:
- Press the “Windows” or “Start” button.
- Press the “Window+R” keys.
- In the run box, type “service.msc” and press the “Enter” tab.
- In the service window, search for “QuickBooksDBXX service“.
- If the QuickBooksDBXX service is not visible: Confirm that the Database Server Manager is installed on the server.
- Open the QuickBooks program if it’s running on the server.
- Make sure hosting is enabled by verifying it.
- Open the “QuickBooksDBXX” service and confirm that the startup type and service status have started.
- Click the “Recovery” tab and save the changes.
Step 2: Verify the hosting
By following the steps below, you can ensure that none of the workstations are in hosting mode except for the server computer. This crucial configuration can frequently lead to QuickBooks Desktop Error H505.
- Open QuickBooks on each Workstation computer.
- Go to “File” then “Utilities“.
- If you see “Host Multi-User Access” on the list, the computer is unable to host the file.
- If you see the “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” option, choose it.
- Go to the “Company“.
- Choose the “File Must Be Closed” window.
- Click “Yes” to finish.”
If QuickBooks error H505 still appears go to the next solution to fix it.
Related Article: How to Fix QuickBooks Error H202?
Solution 3: Configure Firewall Program to Fix QuickBooks Error H505
If the Checking QuickBooks Services didn’t resolve your QuickBooks Code H505 issue, then manually configuring your firewall might do the trick. Here’s how:
Add Firewall Port Exception for QuickBooks:
- Open Windows Start Menu, type “Windows Firewall,” and open it.
- Go to Advanced Settings.
- Right-click Inbound Rules, then choose New Rule. (Later, do the same for Outbound Rules.)
- Select Port and click Next.
- Ensure TCP is selected.
- Enter the specific ports for your QuickBooks version:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020 and later: 8019, [Dynamic Port].
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, [Dynamic Port].
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
- Note: QuickBooks 2019 and later use dynamic ports assigned during installation.
- After entering the port number, click Next.
- Choose Allow the Connection and then Next.
- If prompted, ensure all profiles are checked and click Next.
- Name your rule, like “QBPorts(year),” and select Finish.
- Repeat these steps for Outbound Rules.
Create Windows Firewall Exceptions for QuickBooks Programs:
- Open Windows Start Menu, search for “Windows Firewall,” and open it.
- Go to Advanced Settings.
- Right-click Inbound Rules, then choose New Rule. (Repeat later for Outbound Rules.)
- Select Program and click Next.
- Choose This Program Path, then Browse.
- Locate and select each of the executable files listed below, then click Next.
- The executable files and their locations are provided in the table below.
- Choose Allow the Connection, click Next, ensure all profiles are checked, and then click Next.
- Name your rule, like “QBFirewallException(name.exe),” and select Finish.
- Repeat these steps for creating Outbound Rules.
Executable Files and Locations:
|Executable File||Default Location|
|AutoBackupExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|Dbmlsync.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|DBManagerExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileManagement.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileMovementExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QuickBooksMessaging.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBW32.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBDBMgrN.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBServerUtilityMgr.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBCFMonitorService.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBLaunch.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBUpdate.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate|
|IntuitSyncManager.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Sync|
|OnlineBackup.exe||C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Online Backup|
Note: The path “C:\Program Files (x86)” is used for 64-bit Operating systems.
Lastly, restart your computer to ensure all changes are applied. If the QuickBooks Desktop Error H505 remains, consider the following subsequent solution.
Solution 4: Ping Your Server from a Workstation
To effectively troubleshoot QuickBooks Error H505, a key step is to verify network connectivity between your server and workstations. This solution involves a few technical steps but is crucial for diagnosing network-related issues that might be causing this error.
Step 1: Enable Network Discovery on Server and Workstations
This step is vital to ensure your server and workstations can communicate over the network.
- On your server and affected workstations, open the Windows Start Menu.
- Type “Network” and open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on Change advanced sharing settings.
- Make sure Turn on network discovery is selected in both the Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing sections. This allows your devices to see each other on the network, which is essential for QuickBooks multi-user mode.
Step 2: Obtain Your Server Name from the Server Computer
Knowing your server’s name is crucial as it will be used to test connectivity from the workstations.
- On your server computer, open the Windows Start Menu.
- Type “Run” in the search bar and open Run.
- Type “CMD” in the Run window, then press Enter.
- In the CMD window, type “ipconfig/all” and press Enter.
- In the Windows IP Configuration section, find the Host Name.
Note down the server name displayed on the right. This name is what your workstations will use to connect to the server.
Step 3: Test the Server Connection from Each Workstation
This step helps determine if there are any network connectivity issues between your server and workstations.
- On each workstation experiencing Error H505, open the Windows Start Menu.
- Type “Run” in the search bar and open Run.
- Enter “CMD” in the Run window, and then press Enter.
- In the CMD window, type “ping [your server name]” (replace [your server name] with the actual server name, omitting the brackets) and press Enter. This command checks the network connection to your server.
Assessing the Results:
- No Packet Loss: If each packet is replied to with no loss, your server connection is stable.
- Packet Loss or Slow Replies: If there’s packet loss or a very slow reply, this indicates a network issue. Stop here and seek help from an IT professional to resolve your network connectivity problems.
By following these steps, you can isolate whether the H505 error is due to network issues, allowing for a more targeted approach in resolving the error.
Given that QuickBooks Error H505 is rooted in network-related problems, there’s a chance that the error may persist or reoccur even after you’ve gone through all the troubleshooting steps. In these situations, we recommend reaching out to our QuickBooks Data Service Team at +1-888-538-1314 for further assistance and more effective support.