QuickBooks Desktop 2023 Update Error is widespread and can occur at any time, even in the middle of other tasks. If you encounter any of these update errors, QuickBooks Desktop may refuse to download or install any updates, which can have a negative impact on features like payroll. Updates are essential because they fix bugs, strengthen the app’s security, and provide features that users will find helpful. Intuit, like other app developers, often provides updates for QuickBooks Desktop; if you run into any problems during the update installation process, you may resolve them quickly by following the troubleshooting methods provided below.
Causes For Update Error in QuickBooks 2023
There are too many update error codes in QuickBooks such as 1603, 1712, 1722, 404, PS038, PS036, etc. Thus we have enlisted more common reasons rather than specific error code reasons.
- Unstable Internet may cause update errors in QuickBooks Desktop 2023.
- You’re using an outdated QuickBooks Desktop 2019 or older version, which is now unsupported versions.
- Firewall settings aren’t configured to allow QuickBooks Desktop to download the updated file.
- A Damaged Data file is likely to cause Error PS038 in QuickBooks 2023.
- Incorrect Date or Time can also create circumstances to get confront QuickBooks update not working problem.
Simple Steps to resolve QuickBooks 2023 update issue
#1: Repair File using File Dr to fix QuickBooks 2023 won’t update
- Download Tool Hub 2023 from official websites.
- Next, Install the QuickBooks 2023 tool Hub(Make sure to enable the Windows installer to install the setup).
- Later, Open Intuit Tool Hub.
- In Tool Hub 2023, Choose the Company File issues tab.
- Next, Select Run QuickBooks File Dr.
- File Dr takes approx 2 to 5 minutes to load the whole program.
- Once the file Dr will open, You have to select the Repair Company file option.
- Click on Run.
- Repair process.
#2: Configure network adapter settings to mend QuickBooks update issue
- Press the Windows icon and then type settings in the search area.
- Now select the “Network and Internet”, next click on status.
- From the many visible options you can see the blue colored “network reset” option. Click on that.
- Click on the “reset now” button if you like to reset the network adapter. Note: This will reset your network components and you have to re-install the other networking software later.
- You have to end these steps by rebooting your PC and again launching QuickBooks, checking if it is updating or not.
#3: Check the date and time on your computer
Incorrect date and time very likely to cause QuickBooks Update Error/issue. Follow the subsequent steps to correct date and time in your system.
- You can see the clock and date section at the bottom right corner of the windows, just click on that to open it.
- Adjust the date and time by selecting the date and time option, write current date and time.
- At last, hit on OK twice.
- Next open the QuickBooks program again and then check if the application is able to update or not.
#4: Configure internet and firewall settings to fix QuickBooks Desktop 2023 Update Error
- First, click on the start tab and then search for the QuickBooks Database Server Manager inside the search bar.
- When you see the QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the list of the installed app, click on it and then choose the port monitor tab.
- Next, at some place note down the port number of the version of the QB program.
- Now again go to the start menu and search for the windows firewall.
- Open the firewall of the windows and next click on the advanced settings option.
- Right-click on the Inbound rules and then choose the new rule.
- Now smash the click button on the port option and click on next tab. (Also enable the TCP option)
- Once you have completed check the specific local ports and now enter the port number.
- Now, click on next and select the option “Allow the connection”.
- Click on the next button once again and name the new rule.
- Now follow these same steps for the outbound rules and finish the process.
#5: Access QB desktop as an admin and eliminate QuickBooks Update Error
- Exit from the QB application.
- Now find the QuickBooks program that you have installed earlier on your PC and right-click on it to open up the menu.
- Next, select the “Run as Administrator” option from the menu and QuickBooks will now run on the admin mode.
- Try to update the QuickBooks, if you still can’t do it then follow the next set of troubleshooting.
#6: Download updates in the safe mode
- To access the safe mode in windows, restart your PC and then hit the boot key again and again till you see the Advanced Boot Options.
- Choose the option Safe mode with networking and press the Enter key.
- Now download the update for your QuickBooks and then restart the PC in normal mode and check if the program is working fine or not.
Note: In Some scenarios users won’t be able to restore from safe mode, So perform the above mention steps at your own risk.
#7: Remove other versions of the QuickBooks
- First close the QuickBooks, use finder menu from the mac desktop.
- Choose go and pick the duplicate or other QB versions, click on the QuickBooks for mac icon and drag it to the trash.
- Choose the control panel from the windows start menu.
- Next, uninstall the QuickBooks by selecting the “uninstall a program” and then choose the QuickBooks from the visible list of applications.
- Click on the uninstall to remove QuickBooks from your PC completely.
- Download and install the QB clean install utility from the intuit’s official website.
- Launch it and select your QuickBooks version, next click on OK to completely remove the QuickBooks and its residual registries.
#8: Enable third-party updates in Windows and MAC
- sufficient disk space to store the source binary content for third-party software updates in the WSUSContent directory of the top-level software update point.
- The quantity of storage needed varies depending on the vendor, the kinds of updates, and the particular updates you publish for deployment.
- If a drive with extra free space is needed, you can transfer the WSUSContent directory there.
- Internet access is necessary for the third-party software update synchronization service.
- Microsoft’s download.microsoft.com over HTTPS port 443 is required for the partner catalogs list.
- access to updated content files and any third-party catalogues over the internet. Other than port 443, other ports might be required.
- The SUP uses the same proxy settings as third-party updates.
Enable third-party application updates (QuickBooks)
You can subscribe to outside update catalogues in the Configuration Manager console if you enable this option. After that, you can deploy those updates to customers by publishing them to WSUS. To enable and configure the feature for use, the following actions should be carried out once for each hierarchy. If you ever change the WSUS server for the top-level SUP, the processes might need to be repeated.
- Navigate to the Administration workspace in the Configuration Manager console. the Sites node by expanding Site Configuration and choosing it.
- Choose the site that is at the top of the hierarchy. Choose Configure Site Components from the ribbon, then choose Software Update Point.
- The Third-Party Updates tab should be selected. Choose the option to allow updates from third parties.
Some applications cannot be installed because they are not Apple-signed. Follow these instructions to allow third-party apps to install if you are confident in the application and are certain you want to install it.
- Clicking the Apple symbol and selecting “System Preferences” will bring up the window.
- The “System Preferences” window’s “Security & Privacy” tab should be selected.
- To authorize changes, pick the “General” tab and then the lock in the bottom left corner.
- Select “Unlock” after entering your computer’s username and password.
- Snap the window shut. Now, you can set up trusted unsigned programs.
- You may wish to go through the process again and tick “Mac App Store” on step five to turn this function back off for security concerns.
#9: Free up some space then update QuickBooks
If you can’t update your QuickBooks then there is a possibility that your drive needs more space and your hard disk is 90% full. It is advised not to install unnecessary applications into your C Drive as this is the primary disk used for running the OS and also contains important files. Make some room for the updates and again try to update the QuickBooks.
#10: Re-install the QuickBooks and resolve QuickBooks Dekstop Update Error
- Uninstall the QuickBooks from your system.
- Now click on the file explorer icon to open it from the system tray.
- From the top pane click on the view tab and then select hidden items.
- Next, locate the folder that has your QuickBooks company files. Generally, you have to find the QuickBooks folder. You can find the company files in the following locations:
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Users(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- Now right-click on the folder and select to rename it.
- You have to add the word ‘old’ at the end of the folder name to block QuickBooks from opening it when you re-install the software.
- Re-install the QBDT now and check if you are able to use the application or not.
#11: Update the Windows OS from 32-bit to 64-bit
Note: Do not proceed with this step if you are using a 32-bit system architecture. Also, take a complete backup of the company files and the crucial data because it is a clean install process and will delete all your data stored on the drive.
Check if you are using a 32-bit system architecture or 64-bit
- Hit the window button from your keyboard and type the settings in the search bar.
- Now navigate to the System >> About and under the ‘Device specifications’ check the system type.
- You may see the following things: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor or 32-bit operating system, x64-based processor or 32-bit operating system or 64-bit operating system.
After you have successfully identified the type of the OS you are using and the System, it is time to update your Operating system from 32-bit to 64-bit.
- Go to MS’s official website and from there download the MediaCreationTool.exe.
- Plug a PD or Flash drive greater than 8 GB.
- Run this tool, click on ‘Accept’ if you agree with the license terms, now select ‘Create installation media for another PC’, and click next.
- Uncheck the ‘Use the recommended options for this PC’ and change the Architecture to 64-bit. Click on next.
- Now choose which media you want to use, select ‘USB flash drive’ and click on next.
- Make sure the USB you are using is completely formatted. Select the drive and click on next.
- This will prepare your PD to be used to install the windows. You shall see the following message ‘Your USB flash drive is ready’, click on finish and remove your PD.
- Reconnect your PD and restart your computer. Visit your BIOS menu, next go to Advanced BIOS Features, and make your First Boot Device your PD.
- Save the settings and next under the windows setup follow the on-screen instructions to successfully install the 64-bit windows OS.
- Re-install QuickBooks and check if you are getting any issues or not.
The article is about to End, and we can presume that users don’t have any update errors in QuickBooks Desktop 2023. Still, we are here to remind you that If it is not resolved yet, Sit back and relax and contact QuickBooks Data Services expert at +1-888-538-1314.
What to do when the QuickBooks 2023 update reboot loop occurs?
If you’re experiencing a reboot loop when updating QuickBooks 2023:
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
2. Once in Safe Mode, open QuickBooks and disable automatic updates.
3. Restart your computer normally.
4. Manually update QuickBooks to the latest release.
I’ve encountered an issue where my QuickBooks update gets stuck on writing system registry values. How can I resolve this?
Experiencing the “QuickBooks update stuck on writing system registry values” can be due to system permissions or conflicts with other software. Here’s what you can do:
1. Make sure you’re logged in as an Administrator.
2. Temporarily turn off antivirus and firewall programs, then attempt the update. Don’t forget to turn them back on afterward.
3. If the problem remains, you might want to utilize the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to address common installation issues.